Tax preparation for daycare providers About Family Child Care Taxes Payroll Service for child care providers Tax Tips Blog Make Payments Tax Tips en espaŮol Contact Us

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?
Parents and providers have a lot of questions

Most parents and child care providers know there is a tax benefit associated with child care costs. From the many emails I am receiving, however, I can see that there is a lot of confusion out there.

Read more for a sample of the questions that are coming in.


> My wife and I are hoping we are eligible for the child care tax credit. We are not positive if our in home day care provider claims the money paid to her as income. She is not licensed at this time. Since you have to provide a TIN or SSN for the provider I am needing to know if she must also claim this income on her taxes? [Alison: She should. The IRS will know that she has child care income if you claim the credit.]

> We pay someone a total of about $700 a month to watch our daughter, but because she's not licensed is there any way for me to deduct these child care expenses for my tax return? [Alison: Yes. Licensing is really not an issue. See below.]

> My son's child care provider has refused to give me her tax id number. I have terminated care because I suspect she is committing tax fraud. How do I get her number to claim on my taxes? [Alison: Give her a From W-10. Read more about this below.]

> Can a daycare provider refuse to provide a social security number if you owe them money? [Alison: See below. Whether the provider refuses or not, you can still claim the credit.]

> Do you know the amount that parents are allowed to deduct for their childcare payments for each of their children? [Alison: It's a credit and the amount varies. See below.]

> What is the official date by which my child care provider must give me the W2 form so that I can file my taxes? January 31st? I left the child care on not good terms and am wondering how long it will take for them to send out the forms. [Alison: Actually, your child care provider is not required to give you anything, but if you give her a Form W-10, she is required to complete it. See below.]

Information for Parents:

You generally need the provider's tax id number and other information to claim the Form 2441 Credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses. This is a credit, which is better than a deduction, because it can reduce your income tax dollar for dollar.

To get your child care provider's tax id number, give the provider an IRS Form W-10, Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification, which she is required by law to fill out and return to you. If the provider is uncooperative, let her know that the penalty for not providing the information requested on the W-10 is $50 and that you intend to claim the credit whether she gives you her tax id number or not.

There is a way to file Form 2441 and claim the Dependent Care Credit without the provider's tax id number, so don't worry if you can't get it from her. Some providers are concerned because they aren't licensed and others want to avoid paying taxes on their income. To claim the Dependent Care Credit without a tax id number, follow the Form 2441 instructions for Line 1 under "Due Diligence" on page 2.

If you are otherwise on good terms with your child care provider, and especially if you want to continue using the provider's services, I recommend you try to discuss the situation. The provider should be reporting all taxable income. You can claim the credit either way, however.

Calculate the Dependent Care Credit based on child care payments you made during the year for the care of qualifying children under age 13 while you worked or actively looked for work. You can use up to $3,000 per child to calculate the credit. The maximum credit varies according to income level, from a low of $600 to a high of $1,050 per child, with the highest credits going to low income parents.

Information for Child Care Providers:

You are not required to provide any particular form to parents at the end of the year.

If a parent gives YOU an IRS Form W-10, Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification, however, you must complete the form and return it to them. You can face a $50 penalty for not giving your correct tax id number or for refusing to fill out the form.

I highly recommend that you be proactive and prepare a receipt for parents at the end of each year which includes your tax id number. This will help parents and reflect well on your business.

You are required to report child care income on your annual income tax return. The information obtained from parents' Form 2441 could be used by the IRS to identify your taxable income, though I have so far not seen this done in any automated fashion.

If you haven't applied for or received a child care license (and one is required), you will not be allowed to claim home expenses as a business deduction on your income tax return. Other than this, social service licensing does not concern the IRS, though they care very much that you report all of your income. (And pay any resulting taxes.)

Last updated on 3 February 2012

Bookmark and Share

Posted on 2012-02-04 01:55:03

Most Employees are Subject to Overtime Rules

Do you have an employee claiming complete exemption from income tax withholding?

California Paid Sick Leave

FCC Payroll Late Reporting

IRS Relaxes Rules Regarding Depreciable Property

California is Still a FUTA Credit Reduction State

Child Care Business Liability Insurance is a Must

Minimum Wage Laws in California

Are Holiday and/or Vacation Pay Required?

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

ObamaCare: Health Coverage Info for Employees

Here Comes Healthcare Reform

The Redleaf Complete Forms Kit on CD

Saving for Retirement with a SIMPLE IRA

Hiring and sometimes, unfortunately.....Firing

A helpful Hiring Guide for California child care providers

Tax rates were scheduled to rise for all taxpayers on January 1, 2013 . . .

Franchise Tax Board backtracks on property tax initiative

An easy way to pay California use tax?

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?

Hardship prevents some parents from paying their bill

How long should you save tax records?

Giving Gifts to Employees

Keep Track of Your Use Tax Purchases

The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is a Wonderful Thing!

A New Barrage of Fake IRS Emails with Dangerous Links

Her Employee Just Got Married

Catching Up on Missed Home Depreciation

DayCare Providers: Should you set your business up as an LLC?

The Importance of Good Record Keeping

Are my education costs deductible? Can I count the class and homework time?

How much of this provider's cable/internet/phone service is deductible?

Provider's teenage children work in her business

Are his fiancee's property taxes an allowable business expense?

What is the cost of two part-time employees?

Summertime = Fix Up Time

Pesticides Are Poison

California Requirement: High income businesses must pay "use tax" online

Daycare worker wants to be an independent contractor

Child Care Provider's Own Children

Child care provider shocked at what she owes

Make Estimated Tax Payments Your First Priority

Protect Yourself from Calamity

Think it won't matter that much if you treat your worker as an independent contractor instead of an employee?

Treating your assistants as proper employees

Is the care provider's tax id needed for dependent care benefit plan participation?

CA Providers: Pay your workers more than once per month

Must daycare providers pay back their First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Bonus Depreciation Rule extended for 2010

Tax Services

Foreclosures and Cancellation of Debt

FCC Payroll Account Set Up

Mother wants to claim the dependent care credit

Provider's income seems too low

How Much Will an Employee Cost You?

Employee transitioning to day care

Swapping free rent for child care help?

The Food Program Gives You Extra Income

Running a daycare business out of two homes?

What is my total out-of-pocket expense for wages of $500 per week?

2010 Federal HIRE Act

Low profit leads to trouble getting a bank loan

Should you do anything with personal grocery receipts?

Is Your Tax Preparer Familiar with Child Care Tax Rules?

Always Deduct Home Depreciation

Depreciation Schedules

The Time/Space Percentage May Not Be Right for Every Home Deduction

Why Don't You Ask for Outside Space Measurements?

Gifts for Volunteer Helpers?

Meal Rates Also Apply to Restaurant Meals

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

What to do if a parent gives you a 1099

The Business % on Form 8829 Affects Many Day Care Business Expenses

An Exclusive-Use Room Will Increase Your Business Percentage

Energy Credit Limitation Will Affect Child Care Providers

A child care provider is concerned for a colleague with family helpers

Child Care Business Education Resources

Alison hears from a child care helper being treated as an independent contractor

How to Promote Your Business During a Recession

Should this parent give her child care provider a 1099 or a W-2?

IRS Reminds Car Shoppers about 2009 Tax Break

Advice for Out-of-State Daycare Provider

Can I write off a large vehicle as a business expense?

Question about categorizing shopping receipts

Ever Wonder if Your Microwave Oven Leaks Radiation?

Ignore Phony Social Security Administration E-Mails

FCC Payroll Service: Full Service at a Low Cost

Protect Children from the Dangers of Cell Phones

Want a Website Someday?

Hosting a Holiday Party for Business Purposes?

1099 Child Care Helpers Are Rare

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Due Dates

Make Estimated Tax Payments

Providers who are not licensed may miss out on the home expense deduction

Meal rates set in July are used to calculate food deductions for the following year

Visa holder wants to start a family child care

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Cash for Clunkers signed into law on June 24, 2009

Making Work Pay Credit

Unemployment Benefits May Be Tax-Free in 2009

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Deduction for Sales Tax on New Motor Vehicles

Certain Family Employees = Lower Payroll Taxes

Required Minimum Distributions Waived for 2009

Energy Credit for Home Improvements

Energy Credit for Solar Property

What's the best software for our daycare business?

How should providers go about getting health insurance coverage?

Can providers write off payments to child helpers?

Wife earned $1,325 caring for children in 2008

Alison answers Michael Finney's childcare tax questions on "The View from the Bay"

How does this babysitter file her taxes without a W-2 or 1099?

Can I deduct the cost of items purchased before I got my license?

How do child care partners split the home deductions?

More than one car and other business auto concerns

Do I have to give out my tax id number and/or a total to parents?

Obtaining workers' compensation coverage

Give your Tax ID Number to Parents using Form W-10

Should I file separately from my spouse?

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare

Aren't 1099-MISC forms due by January 31?

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Beware of Your Rights Before the IRS

Standard Mileage Rates for 2006 through 2018

Respond Quickly to IRS Notices

Child Care Providers Should Take a Home Inventory

Gifts From Parents May Be Taxable Income

Child Care Business Licenses

Child Care Workers are Almost Always Employees

Retirement Plan and IRA Contribution Limits

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Track Child Care Work Hours in the Home

Standard Meal Rates for Family Child Care Providers

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Alaska

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Hawaii

Summer 2008 Quick Tax Tips

Do You Have Debt Forgiveness?

Federal Housing Bill Passes on June 30, 2008

New Rule Will Result in More Taxable Home Sales

Take Advantage of Tax Savings in a Down Market

Converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers

IRS Rebate Payment Schedule Available

What About Giving 1099s for Household Services?

How to Find a Tax Preparer

Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Government Loses Billions as Sole Proprietors Underreport Their Income

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?

Lessons in Back-to-School Tax Breaks

Child Care Tax Return Checklist

Child Care Providers and other Sole Proprietors: Get an EIN

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Here's a Tip: All Tips Are Taxable

Plan Now, Avoid High Taxes Later

E-mails From the IRS? Be Skeptical

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers and Other Small Business Owners

When an Employer Pays 100% of Payroll Taxes

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Tax Realities of Renting Your Vacation Home

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Protect Your Charitable Deductions

Special Needs = Special Tax Awareness

Educator Expense Deduction Still Available for 2013

Family Child Care Provider Fights Back in IRS Audit

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Careful Recordkeeping = Big Tax Deductions

California State Disability Insurance Rates

Receipts Now Required for All Charitable Contributions

Family Child Care Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Tom Copeland Bio and Contact info
Tom Copeland is the nation's leading trainer, author, and advocate of business practices for family child care providers.
National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)
NAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
July 21-23, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
California Association for Family Child Care (CAFCC)

CAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
April 29-May 1, 2011
at the Embassy Suites
Milpitas, Silicon Valley

Community Child Care Coordinating (4C's) of Alameda County
Salvation Army Charitable Goods Valuation Guide
Franchise Tax Board Forms & Publications
IRS Forms and Publications
NAEA Tax Links
All State Tax Links
NATP Tax Links
Resources for Child Caring (formerly the Redleaf National Institute)
Internal Revenue Service
California Franchise Tax Board
Bay Area Cajun Zydeco Dance Calendar


© 2010, All Rights Reserved Alison T. Jacks / Family Child Care Taxes

Alison T. Jacks is an Enrolled Agent specializing in tax preparation and payroll services for California family child care providers. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, she is dedicated to effective client communication and attention to detail. Alison has a diverse clientele, but since 2007, she has been accepting child care provider clients only. The FCC Payroll Service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of preschool and day care employers.

Alison is located in San Francisco East Bay City of Fremont, but she works with clients living throughout Central, Southern, and Northern California. She is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals.

Our Privacy Policy

Website by Cooksey-Talbott Studio.

Special thanks to Cooksey-Talbott for his photographs of the Fremont Hills.